Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A couple days ago, I read Matthew 14:22-33. It is the story about Peter walking on water. Now, you may wonder why I say Peter walking on water. Most of the time we say Jesus walking on water. But just wait! You will see! :)

Peter and all the disciples were in a boat on the stormy water, when all of a sudden, they saw Jesus...they saw someone...walking on the water? Was it really Jesus? They couldn't tell....It was way too stormy to see clearly. But they heard the gentle words of the Master saying, "It is I. Do not be afraid." Then Peter asked Jesus, "Lord, if it is really You, bid me come to You, walking on the water." So Jesus simply said, "Come." Then, in the next instant, Peter was on the water. Not only was he on the water, but he was walking! And not only was he walking on the water, but he was walking on the water, in the storm. Jesus had bid Peter come to Him, walking on the water in the storm, in answer to Peter request. But it didn't take Peter long to realize what he had asked, and his attention was quickly captured by the wind and waves around him. He gaze was taken off of Christ, and he began to sink. The things that stole his attention were the things that began to drown him. He desperately called out to Christ, "Lord! Save me!" And Jesus reached out his hand, and lifted him from the waves and wind that were causing Peter to sink. Then Jesus said, "O thou of little faith. Wherefore didst thou doubt?" As I read this story, I felt the leading of the Holy Spirit. I knew there was a deep meaning that was perfectly applicable to my life in the story. But it took a few days to fully sink in. I'm Peter. And how many times do I ask God to grow my character, and turn my life upside down for him. Yet when it comes time, and I step out of the boat, all to quickly I find myself loosing my gaze on Jesus. And the very things that I asked God to allow in my life to grow me, I find myself becoming overwhelmed with, and begging him to take them away because I'm sinking. Yet right beside me, my Savior has His hand outstretched and ready to answer my call for help. And when He pulls me to safety, gentle inquires, "O thou of little faith. Wherefore didst thou doubt?" 











1 comment:

  1. Oh, how true! We want to grow in Jesus, but from the comfort and protection of INSIDE the boat. When we step out of the boat, where the growth really takes place, then we focus on the waves about us, loosing sight of Jesus, and we drown - but Jesus is there right beside us.
    Nice thoughts!

    ReplyDelete