Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Lesson from the Life of Abraham

Praise the Lord, for God fearing parents. I was on the phone with my mom the other day, and she was telling me what she had learned in her devotions the other day....very inspiring, so I though I would share it! She had been reading the story of Abraham and Isaac, and how God asked Abraham to go and sacrifice his beloved son. To Abraham this was a shocker! "What? Lord, You just gave him to me? Why do you want me to go and sacrifice him? You want me to give him up? Why? I love him so much Father, I don't know if I can part with him." "Abraham, I know you love him, but do you love Me? I'm asking you to give him up. Trust Me. How much do you love Me? If you love Me, keep My commands." God doesn't ask us to do things like this everyday, God doesn't regularly ask us to give up things that are close to our hearts. But when those things that are close to our hearts, risk coming between us and our God, He may ask us in order to test our loyalty. Are we willing to do absolutely EVERYTHING God asks us to do? Even giving up something that we love? Something that is so close to our hearts that it seems to be apart of us? Isaac was very much apart of Abraham. He was his son. But Abraham trusted God, and if God asked him to do this, then there was a purpose. In the end, God provided a lamb to take the place of the sacrifice. Isaac. But Abraham had to be mentally prepared to give up his son, because God asked him to. Sometimes God asks us to give up things that seem impossible to give up. But that is why God is asking us to give them up, because we must value our relationship with God more then any other relationship here on earth. God might test us to see where our true loyalty's are by asking us to do things, or in a sense...give things up. We must be willing to do whatever God asks us to do....and God will never ask to take something away without a purpose, and without giving us something in return....or in the case of Abraham....giving the same thing back after making sure that He is supreme in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! As I was reading it I was reminded of this quote: "We are never called upon to make a real sacrifice for God. Many things He asks us to yield to Him, but in doing this we are but giving up that which hinders us in the heavenward way. Even when called upon to surrender those things which in themselves are good, we may be sure that God is thus working out for us some higher good." {HDL 13.1}

    "We are never called to make a real sacrifice for God." It's so hard to wrap my mind around that! "What about this, and what about that? Didn't I have to give these things up for you, God?" But in light of His infinite sacrifice...all these things that seem like sacrifices to us are really not sacrifices at all. Especially when God only asks us to give up "that which hinders us in the heavenly way."

    Thanks again :) It was a good reminder, to recall things in the past that God has asked me to give up, and to remember that these really aren't sacrifices at all, but through them "God is thus working out for us some higher good."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Val! very good reminder.....

    ReplyDelete